Monday, August 08, 2005
Teachers 4 Social Justice - friday event!
1. Anti-racist school reform specialist Enid Lee will be in SF this Friday!
2. August 11th T4SJ conference planning meeting -
Conference Keynote announced
3. '05-'06 Study Groups - visit http://t4sj.org for more info
4. Youth Empowerment Summit
1. Anti-racist school reform specialist Enid Lee will be part of a summer series that KPFA (La Onda Bajita) and New College of California are hosting this Friday, August 5th from 8-8:30pm and she will take questions from people in the audience.
Please arrive at 7:30pm and have your questions ready! 780 Valencia in San Francisco. Or Listen live on KPFA 94.1 fm too.
2. Get involved in T4SJ's 5th annual educators conference, "Teaching for Social Justice: An Act of Revolution" at our next general meeting. Thursday, August 11th from 6-8pm at 523 Dolores St, SF. If you can make the meeting, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or see you there! Visit our website to learn more about the conference http://www.t4sj.org/ or to donate and help make the conference happen. The next planning meeting will take place Tuesday, Sept. 6th, 6-8pm, location tba.KEYNOTE SPEAKER ANNOUNCED: Linda Chrisitansen, Teacher, Author and Activist will speak at the 2005 conference. Linda is author of "Reading, Writing and Rising Up: Teaching about Social Justice and the Power of the Written Word" and frequent contributor to Rethinking Schools.
3. T4SJ presents it's 5th year of grassroots professional development with our '05-'06 Study Groups. T4SJ Study Groups provide teachers with focused, peer-based professional development opportunities that are tied to existing classroom practice, vs. one-shot "training" workshops that happen in isolation. Curriculum is built around investigation of a specific topic through research and personal experience. Study groups presented this year will be:- Teaching and Social Justice for New Teachers and Student Teachers- Justice and Access through Math and Science- Parent and Teacher Collaboration- Intersections of Discipline and Racism- High Stakes Testing Action GroupVisit http://t4sj.org/ for registration information or more info about study groups.
4. "RESIST THE SYSTEM"The 3rd Annual Youth Empowerment SummitAugust 9th, 2005 11am-8pm @ SF State UniversityOn August 9th, high school student organizers from Making Waves will bring together over 200 youth along with some of the leading Bay Area youth development agencies and artists to SF State. The Summit is FREE to youth and will provide workshops and panels in the areas of Social Justice and Youth Activism, followed by an Arts Festival featuring some of the hottest performers and artists celebrating culture and consciousness.FREE for participants who PRE-REGISTER. Download registration form at http://www.branson.org/makingwavessummit and send it back to Making Waves....space is limited...so register now!
For more info on Teachers 4 Social Justice - www.t4sj.org.